UX Design Mentorship
Dedicated to helping designers grow in skills and confidence. Accumulated 10+ mentees from 10 cities around the world, from Australia, Ireland, Singapore, USA, Taiwan and beyond.
Get clarity on your learning journey
It’s overwhelming to learn from the vast amount of information on the Internet. I help mentees identify and prioritize what they need to learn. With a mentor, you will learn things you don’t find in books or courses. Unlike prepared materials, mentorship is not one-size-fits-all.
Find a job in UX
If you’re struggling to find an internship or full-time job in UX, I can assess your situation and portfolio, and give advice as someone who has been on the other side of the table.
Grow quicker as a designer
Gain insight into how senior UX designers think and work. If you’re already working in the field, a mentor can recognize your blind spots and help you accelerate your growth. I’ve helped mentees improve their soft skills like communication, presentation and teamwork skills.
Excel in freelancing
If your goal is to freelance, it’s daunting to step into the world of freelancing without any guidance. With 7+ years of freelance experience, I’ll teach you everything I know about contracts, invoicing, client relationships and more.
Accomplish your goals
Is being a ‘digital nomad’ where one works remotely while travelling the world your ideal lifestyle? Or have you always wanted to move/work abroad? I’ve done it 4 times. If I’ve done it, I can help you get there too.
Receive career advice
Increase your confidence in your job search with support and advice from a mentor. Learn from a seasoned designer how to choose between different fields of work, how to evaluate job offers, how to negotiate and more.
Who this can help
- Students or new graduates looking for their first UX job
- The only UX designer in a company without guidance
- Working designers who want to grow and advance quickly
- Career switchers looking to break into UX
Current/past mentees include people from...
What you’ll get
- 4 to 6+ month mentorship plan tailored to your goals
- Homework and side projects specifically for your growth
- A reading list of resources curated for your level
- Monthly or bi-weekly 1-on-1 consultations
- In-depth resume, portfolio and design critique
- Support via Slack direct message between sessions
- Independent UX/Product Designer
- Senior UX & Product Designer at Toptal
- Former Interaction Designer at TravelBird
- Former UX/UI Design Lead at Gimmie
- Former Co-founder at Swiip
- UX Mentor at Travel to the Cloud Hackathon, 2017
- Mentor at Out of Office Hours, 2016
- European & Asian Chapters Mentor, Ladies that UX, 2016-present
- SFU Campus Ambassador at IBM, 2010-2011
- Design Mentor, TechBytes, SFU, 2008-2009
- Web Design Mentor, North Surrey High School, 2006
Why am I mentoring?
Many designers just need slight guidance and they can land the job of their dreams. When I started my design career in 2011, I didn’t have a mentor, until I asked for one during my internship at IBM.
As I grew in my career, the topic and benefits of mentorship came up lots of times. Every one of my peers wanted a mentor, but no one knew how to find one, neither did I. I basically got to where I am today through TONS of trial and error. Having a mentor could have saved me from going down the wrong paths and making bad decisions many times.
7 years later as a more experienced designer now, I thought perhaps my experience in UX design, startups, freelancing and remote working could be valuable to others. I volunteered in the Out of Office Hours initiative, and surprisingly, close to 40 people chose me as a mentor.
After this success, I decided to take mentees under my own name, to help people who resonate with my story and who come to me specifically for advice. I want to help newcomers in their journeys become better UX designers. I want to support my mentees and inspire them with my wins. I want to tell them about the crazily bad decisions I made and how to not repeat my mistakes. (These are so horrid I can't even talk about them publicly.)
Essentially, I want to be the mentor that I never had. I've been mentoring (4+ people per month) consistently for more than one year now, offering tailored advice, mock interviews, design and portfolio critique and monthly workshops. In the process, I enjoyed sharing my personal experiences, whether positive ones or mishaps. I know I have unique experience and stories to offer my mentees because my path is different from that of many well-known names in the industry. We need more people who have unique experiences to teach, otherwise, people simply don't know there are alternatives to working in one big company for their entire career.
How it works
- Fill out the application form and tell me about yourself and your goals. In the application it is required to attach a 1-min video about yourself.
- Selected mentees will hear from me with the next steps to enroll (payment and service agreement).
- In the first consultation, we dive deep into your goals, where you are now, where you want to be and what's holding you back.
- After the first consultation, I offer you a strategy and a gameplan to reach your career goals. The customized mentorship plan takes between 4 to 6+ months.
The fee is 150 euros (excl. VAT) per 1h session. Mentorship does not work one-size-fits-all, therefore, I customize our consultation schedule around your goals, experience and availability. Past mentees have used from 4 sessions to 8+ sessions, from 4 months to 1+ year to achieve their goals.
I assist mentees best when helping them apply UX knowledge in real/side projects. You should have learned the UX fundamentals for the mentorship to be most effective. If you don’t have any design knowledge, I would advise you to take an online or offline UX course, and familiarize yourself with UX with these books and resources.