Are you a student, new graduate or someone who wants to transition into UX? Are you struggling to find an internship or full-time job in UX/design? Do you need someone to give you advice and tips on your resume, portfolio and UX career?
Do you want to gain international work/life experience but don’t know where to start? Do you want practical tips and strategies on how to start working remotely?
If that's YOU, I would like to help you, as your (design) mentor for the next three months!
As Dann Petty mentioned, many designers out there just need slight guidance and they can land the job of their dreams. When I started my design career in 2011, I didn’t have a mentor, until I asked for one during my internship at IBM.
As I grew in my career, the topic and benefits of mentorship came up lots of times. Every one of my peers wanted a mentor, but no one knew how to find one, neither did I. I basically got to where I am today through TONS of trial and error. Having a mentor could have saved me from going down the wrong paths and making bad decisions many times.
6 years later as a more experienced designer now, I thought perhaps my experience in UX design, freelancing and remote working could be valuable to others. I volunteered in the Out of Office Hours initiative, and surprisingly, close to 40 people chose me for design career advice!
After this success, I decided to take mentees under my own name, to help people who resonate with my story and who come to me specifically for advice. I want to help newcomers in their journey to become better UX designers. I want to support my mentees, inspire them with my wins and tell them about the crazily bad decisions I made in my career and what I learned (these are horrid enough I can’t tell everyone).
If that sounds exciting to you, I’d love to have you as a mentee!
- Independent UX UI Designer
- Senior UX & Product Designer at Toptal
- Former Interaction Designer at TravelBird
- Former UX/UI Design Lead at Gimmie
- Former Co-founder at Swiip
- Mentor at Out of Office Hours, 2016
- SFU Campus Ambassador at IBM, 2010-2011
- Design Mentor, TechBytes, SFU, 2008-2009
- Web Design Mentor, North Surrey High School, 2006
What you’ll get
- Video call once a month (1 hour)
- Private Facebook/Slack group with other mentees
- International UX UI work opportunities
- Curated UX UI resources, news and events
- Accountability partner within the mentee group
- 2 hours office hours a week to answer all your questions
How to apply
Fee and Schedule
Summer 2017 period: 3 months, from July 1st to September 30th. The fee is $150 USD per month. Once selected, full payment for the period is required to enroll.