UX Mentorship Program
Are you a student, new graduate or someone who wants to transition into UX? Are you struggling to find an internship or full-time job in UX/design? Do you need someone to give you advice and tips on your resume, portfolio and UX career? Or are you the only UX designer in a company and need someone to be your sounding board?
Do you want to gain international work/life experience but don’t know where to start? Do you want practical tips and strategies on how to start working remotely?
If that's YOU, I would like to help you, as your UX mentor for the next three months!
Many designers out there just need slight guidance and they can land the job of their dreams. When I started my design career in 2011, I didn’t have a mentor, until I asked for one during my internship at IBM.
As I grew in my career, the topic and benefits of mentorship came up lots of times. Every one of my peers wanted a mentor, but no one knew how to find one, neither did I. I basically got to where I am today through TONS of trial and error. Having a mentor could have saved me from going down the wrong paths and making bad decisions many times.
6 years later as a more experienced designer now, I thought perhaps my experience in UX design, freelancing and remote working could be valuable to others. I volunteered in the Out of Office Hours initiative, and surprisingly, close to 40 people chose me for design career advice!
After this success, I decided to take mentees under my own name, to help people who resonate with my story and who come to me specifically for advice. I want to help newcomers in their journey to become better UX designers. I want to support my mentees, inspire them with my wins and tell them about the crazily bad decisions I made in my career and what I learned (these are horrid enough I can’t tell everyone).
If that sounds exciting to you, I’d love to have you as a mentee!
- Independent UX UI Designer
- Senior UX & Product Designer at Toptal
- Former Interaction Designer at TravelBird
- Former UX/UI Design Lead at Gimmie
- Former Co-founder at Swiip
- UX Mentor at Travel to the Cloud Hackathon, 2017
- Mentor at Out of Office Hours, 2016
- SFU Campus Ambassador at IBM, 2010-2011
- Design Mentor, TechBytes, SFU, 2008-2009
- Web Design Mentor, North Surrey High School, 2006
What you’ll get
- Video call once a month (1 hour)
- Private Slack group with other mentees
- International UX UI work opportunities
- Curated UX UI resources, news and events
- Accountability partner within the mentee group
- 2h of office hours a week
How to apply
Applications for Fall 2017 are now open!. Fill in the application form before the deadline. Selected mentees will be notified between September 28 and September 30.
Applications open: September 18th
Application deadline: September 27th 23:59 (UTC+2)
Fee and Schedule
Fall 2017 period: 3 months, from October 1st to December 31st. The fee is $150 USD per month. Once a mentee is selected to enroll in the program, full payment for the period is required.