UX Mentorship Program
Are you a student, new graduate or someone who wants to transition into UX? Are you struggling to find an internship or full-time job in UX/design? Do you need someone to give you advice and tips on your resume, portfolio and UX career? Or are you the only UX designer in a company and need someone to be your sounding board?
Do you want to gain international work/life experience but don’t know where to start? Do you want practical tips and strategies on how to start working remotely?
Or you're like me—a woman or a person of color, and you'd like to learn how to navigate the tech world as an underrepresented person in the industry.
If that's YOU, I would like to help you, as your UX mentor for the next four months!
Many designers out there just need slight guidance and they can land the job of their dreams. When I started my design career in 2011, I didn’t have a mentor, until I asked for one during my internship at IBM.
As I grew in my career, the topic and benefits of mentorship came up lots of times. Every one of my peers wanted a mentor, but no one knew how to find one, neither did I. I basically got to where I am today through TONS of trial and error. Having a mentor could have saved me from going down the wrong paths and making bad decisions many times.
6 years later as a more experienced designer now, I thought perhaps my experience in UX design, freelancing and remote working could be valuable to others. I volunteered in the Out of Office Hours initiative, and surprisingly, close to 40 people chose me for design career advice!
After this success, I decided to take mentees under my own name, to help people who resonate with my story and who come to me specifically for advice. I want to help newcomers in their journeys become better UX designers. I want to support my mentees and inspire them with my wins. I want to tell them about the crazily bad decisions I made and how to not repeat my mistakes. (These are so horrid I can't even talk about them publicly.)
If that sounds exciting to you, I’d love to have you as a mentee!
- Independent UX/Product Designer
- Senior UX & Product Designer at Toptal
- Former Interaction Designer at TravelBird
- Former UX/UI Design Lead at Gimmie
- Former Co-founder at Swiip
- UX Mentor at Travel to the Cloud Hackathon, 2017
- Mentor at Out of Office Hours, 2016
- European & Asian Chapters Mentor, Ladies that UX, 2016-present
- SFU Campus Ambassador at IBM, 2010-2011
- Design Mentor, TechBytes, SFU, 2008-2009
- Web Design Mentor, North Surrey High School, 2006
What you’ll get
- Video call once a month (1 hour)
- Direct message access and guaranteed reply
- Access to a private Slack group with other mentees
- An accepting community to discuss project and career struggles
- Monthly workshops and demos
- Portfolio and design critique sessions
- Curated resources (UX, UI, freelancing and user research)
- Accountability partner within the mentee group
Applications for cohort #1 2018 are closed. Join the wait list to be notified when applications open for the next cohort (around mid-April 2018).
Fee and Schedule
Cohort #2 2018: 4 months, from May 1st to August 31st. The fee is 560 Euros (excl. VAT) for one cohort. Once a mentee is selected to enroll in the program, the full payment is required.